The Chicago Horror Film Festival 2023: Local Horrors, Global Frights, and a Record-Breaking Spectacle
The 2023 Chicago Horror Film Festival, under the esteemed leadership of Festival Director and award-winning Chicagoan filmmaker and writer, CJ Vecchio, has concluded with spine-tingling success. This year’s festival showcased a diverse array of horror films that captured the essence of fear, creativity, and artistic brilliance.
The two-day event, held on October 21 and 22, 2023, at Facets Theater in Chicago, provided an immersive experience for horror enthusiasts and film aficionados alike, marking the 24th anniversary of this renowned festival.
CJ Vecchio, known for his award-winning contributions to Chicago’s film industry, expressed his excitement and satisfaction with the exceptional quality of films featured in this year’s festival. He remarked, “The films showcased in the 2023 Chicago Horror Film Festival were nothing short of amazing. The talent on display exceeded our expectations, and the international submissions added a new dimension to the horror experience. It’s a testament to the global appeal and boundless creativity within the horror genre.”
The festival proudly announces the winners in various categories:
- Best Monster: The Pumpkin-Man
(directed by Ryan Sheets)
- Fest Director Fav – INT: La Nueva/The Newcomer (directed by Ivan Villamel)
- Fest Director Fav – USA: Room Tone (directed by Michael Gabriele)
- Best Horror Poster: Cotton Mouth (directed by Alexander Perez)
- Best Horror Trailer: Get Away (directed by Michael Gabriele)
- Best Horror Comedy: Charlie The Canceled Skeleton (directed by Joe Reilly)
- Best Animated/Puppet Horror: Abruptio (directed by Evan Marlowe)
- Best LGBTQ Horror: SlashR (directed by Amir Moini)
- Best Foreign Horror: Soul Proprietor (directed by Scott Riopelle)
- Best Blood & Gore: Greed & Gore (directed by Adam Kirkey)
- Best Cinematography:
Black Dragon-Rong Den (dir by Alexander Thompson)
- Best Actress: Alexis Ward for Mason (directed by Sharena Sigmon)
- Best Actor: Eric Schanker for Other (directed by Ryan Miler)
- Best Young Performer: Nixon Snow for Sally (directed by Braden Timmons)
- Best 1st Time Director: Jerad S Marantz for Shelter
- Best Director: Michael Gabriele for Get Away
- Best Chicago Director: Sharena Sigmon for Mason
- Best Chicago Short: Gancho (directed by Michael Lucas)
- Best Horror Feature: 6 Wheels from Hell! (directed by Evan Allen)
- Best Horror Short: Everbliss INN (directed by Kays Al-Atrakchi)
- Best Horror Screenplays:
1st Place: “Residual” by Christopher Gordy
2nd Place: “Envious” by Glenn Lissner
3rd Place: “EMF” by Vincente DiSanti, Jeremy Brown, Mike Meade
The festival celebrates outstanding talent, storytelling, and daring creativity in the horror genre. Vecchio extends congratulations to all the winners of 2023 and gratitude to everyone who contributed to making this year’s event a haunting success.
For more information and updates on the 2024 events, visit www.ChicagoHorrorFilmFest.com or follow the festival on social media.
Media Contact: ChicagoHorrorFest2024@
About Chicago Horror Film Festival: The Chicago Horror Film Festival is a premier event dedicated to showcasing the best and most innovative horror films worldwide. Led by Festival Director CJ Vecchio, the festival aims to provide a platform for established and emerging horror talent. The festival’s commitment to excellence and its ever-expanding audience make it a cornerstone of the global horror film community. You can submit your horror film via FilmFreeway.