Listen: Guillermo del Toro’s Frankenstein
Guillermo del Toro’s Frankenstein–what we know?
• Guillermo del Toro, a renowned horror director, is releasing his latest movie on Netflix – Frankenstein or Dr. Frankenstein.
• Based on Elizabeth S. Wrightson’s version of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley’s novel, the project has acquired rights to the visual representation of the character created by Bernie Wrightson.
• The film follows the story of Dr. Pretorious as he tracks down Frankenstein’s monster forty years after its assumed death in a fire and stars Oscar Isaac (The Monster), Andrew Garfield (Dr. Pretorious), and Mia Goth (The Bride).
• Production is set to begin in October 2023 in Ontario, Canada, and possibly London, England, with an anticipated release date in October 2025.
• Del Toro is also working on The Buried Giant and Vampire Tapestry and a possible renewal of Cabinet of Curiosities for Netflix fans to look forward to.
Get ready for a chilling Netflix movie directed by Guillermo del Toro, one of the biggest names in horror. The film, known as Frankenstein or Dr. Frankenstein, is set to be a thrilling addition to the streaming platform’s lineup.
If you missed it, del Toro has worked exclusively with Netflix since 2020, delivering hits like the Oscar-winning Pinocchio and the spine-tingling horror series Cabinet of Curiosities.
In a recent interview, del Toro spilled the details of his next project. He confirmed that the monster movie on Netflix would be Dr. Frankenstein, based on Elizabeth S. Wrightson’s Frankenstein. Netflix acquired the rights to the visual representation of the character created by Bernie Wrightson, a renowned artist who sadly passed away in 2017.
The project has been in the works for years and has finally found its home at Netflix. Del Toro has been talking about this project since 2008, and it’s now coming to life with the help of a talented team, including producers Gary Ungar and J. Miles Dale, director of photography Dan Laustsen, and casting directors Robin D. Cook and Denise Chamian.
Del Toro officially revealed the project at a special event in October 2023, promising a fresh take on the classic tale of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley’s novel.
The movie is set in 19th-century Eastern Europe and follows the story of Dr. Pretorious, who must track down Frankenstein’s monster, believed to have perished in a fire forty years ago. The doctor needs the monster to continue the experiments of Dr. Frankenstein.
Exciting casting news has been revealed as well. Oscar Isaac, known for his Dune and Star Wars roles, will portray the Monster. Andrew Garfield (tick, tick… Boom!, The Amazing Spider-Man) is set to play the Doctor, and Mia Goth (Pearl, X) will take on the role of the Bride.
Production was initially planned to start in the summer of 2023, but unfortunately, it was delayed due to strikes by SAG-AFTRA. However, prep work for the movie is set to begin in October 2023.
The film, currently known as Prodigal Father, is scheduled to start filming on February 12th, 2024, in Ontario, Canada. It may also have some scenes shot in London, England. While there is no confirmed release date, we predict an October 2025 release, given the genre.
But that’s not all Netflix has in store from Guillermo del Toro. He’s also working on an animated adaptation of The Buried Giant and a vampire movie titled Vampire Tapestry. Fans eagerly await a renewal of his anthology horror series, Cabinet of Curiosities.
Get ready to be terrified and mesmerized by this upcoming Netflix horror movie from director Guillermo del Toro. Stay tuned for more updates on Frankenstein or Dr. Frankenstein, soon to your screens.