Listen: Godzilla Minus One
‘Godzilla Minus One’ Makes History as Japan’s Biggest IMAX Opening Ever for a Live-Action Film
• ‘Godzilla Minus One’ is a groundbreaking Japanese kaiju film, directed and written by Takashi Yamazaki.
• It has broken records and earned over $1.2 million from 49 IMAX screens in its opening weekend – making it the biggest opening for a live-action Japanese film ever.
• With an impressive 7.7 rating on IMDB, it was released nationwide in Japan on November 3, 2023, and will be released in North America on December 1, 2023.
• The movie was showcased in over 500 theaters across Japan, including prestigious formats like IMAX, 4DX, ScreenX, and Dolby Cinema – making it one of Japan’s widest film releases.
• The original Godzilla franchise was conceived by Tomoyuki Tanaka back in the 1950s. Throughout its 67-year history, it has experienced various iterations during the Showa, Heisei, Millennium, and Reiwa eras.
• A unique storyline set in post-WW2 Japan presents a realistic portrayal of a nation grappling with the consequences of atomic bomb detonations while awakening the legendary monster we know as Godzilla.
Prepare to witness the roar of a legendary monster! ‘Godzilla Minus One,’ the latest Japanese kaiju film, has shattered records and become an instant sensation. Directed and written by the talented Takashi Yamazaki, this movie is not just another installment in the epic Godzilla franchise – it’s a groundbreaking cinematic experience.
In its opening weekend, ‘Godzilla Minus One’ earned an astounding $1.2 million from only 49 IMAX screens. This remarkable achievement not only makes it the biggest IMAX opening for a Japanese live-action film in Japan but also places it as the fourth-highest live-action IMAX opening and the fifth-highest IMAX local title opening in the country. With this breathtaking success, Toho Studios and Robot have secured their position as pioneers in the film industry.
After a nationwide release in Japan on November 3, 2023, ‘Godzilla Minus One’ received an impressive 7.7 rating on IMDB. But the excitement is just beginning. The film is set to have its dazzling red carpet debut in Los Angeles on November 10, 2023. And for audiences across North America, get ready to experience the awe-inspiring power of Godzilla when the movie hits over 1000 theaters on December 1, 2023.
This incredible film was showcased in over 500 theaters nationwide in Japan, including prestigious formats like IMAX, 4DX, ScreenX, and Dolby Cinema. This extensive theatrical distribution establishes ‘Godzilla Minus One’ as one of Japan’s widest film releases.
The Godzilla franchise has captivated audiences since its debut in 1954 and has produced an impressive catalog of 37 films. Contrary to popular belief, not all of these films are connected. Instead, they exist within distinct eras and universes, each with its narrative continuity. The visionary behind this iconic franchise is Tomoyuki Tanaka, a film producer at Toho, who first conceived the idea of a 500-ft lizard in the early 1950s. Throughout the years, Godzilla has experienced various iterations during the Showa, Heisei, Millennium, and Reiwa eras, as well as standalone adaptations like the 1998 American film ‘Godzilla.’
While many Americans are familiar with Legendary’s MonsterVerse, featuring movies like ‘Kong: Skull Island,’ ‘Godzilla vs. Kong,’ and the upcoming ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ from Warner Bros, ‘Godzilla Minus One’ stands apart with its unique storyline set in post-WW2 Japan. Delving into the aftermath of atomic bomb detonations, the film presents a hauntingly realistic portrayal of a nation grappling with the consequences, all while awakening the legendary monster we know as Godzilla.
Mark your calendars – ‘Godzilla Minus One’ is coming to theaters and IMAX in the U.S. on December 1, 2023. Get ready to witness the epic battle between man and monster in this thrilling cinematic masterpiece. Take advantage of this – watch the official trailer for ‘Godzilla Minus One’ below!