The highly anticipated film adaptation of Colleen Hoover’s bestselling novel, “It Ends With Us,” is coming. However, there are some worries surrounding the movie’s speedy release date while it’s still in production.
• Film adaptation of Colleen Hoover’s bestselling novel, “It Ends With Us,” is set for release on February 9, 2024.
• Production of the movie was halted due to WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes; the timeline is tight, with less than four months to completion.
• Cast members include Blake Lively, Justin Baldoni, Brandon Sklenar, Jenny Slate, Hasan Minhaj, Isabela Ferrer, and Alex Neustaedter.
• The plot focuses on protagonist Lily Bloom’s journey of self-discovery amidst the return of her former boyfriend, Atlas.
• Flashbacks may be used to provide insight into the characters’ pasts.
• The book has come under controversy for allegedly romanticizing domestic abuse.
Published in 2016, “It Ends With Us” is a powerful story inspired by Hoover’s own experiences with domestic abuse. The book follows Lily Bloom as she navigates a new life in Boston and grapples with the complexities of her relationship with Ryle Kincaid.
With over 1 million copies sold worldwide, “It Ends With Us” has become a sensation on TikTok’s #BookTok community. Justin Baldoni acquired the film rights in 2019 and is set to direct.
Despite the excitement among fans, the controversy around the book’s portrayal of domestic abuse has sparked concerns. Some readers accuse Hoover of romanticizing abuse, especially given the focus on the intense relationship between Lily and Ryle.
The film adaptation has the potential to either address these concerns or exacerbate them. Regardless of the controversy, the release of “It Ends With Us” is rapidly approaching. Here’s everything we know so far.
The film is scheduled for a theatrical release on February 9, 2024. Filming began earlier this year but was halted due to the WGA strike. Even after the strike ended in September, production still awaits the resolution of the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike.
Realistically, the timeline is tight, allowing less than four months for the film to be completed. As a result, the release date could potentially change.
What can viewers expect from “It Ends With Us”? The cast is impressive, with Blake Lively in the lead role of Lily Bloom, opposite director Justin Baldoni playing Ryle. The age difference between the actors and the characters in the book caused an initial backlash, but Hoover explained that the older casting corrects an error in the novel. Additional cast members include Brandon Sklenar, Jenny Slate, Hasan Minhaj, Isabela Ferrer, and Alex Neustaedter.
The film is expected to closely adhere to the book’s plot, delving into Lily’s journey of self-discovery and the complications brought about by the return of her former boyfriend, Atlas. Flashbacks may also play a role in the storytelling, as suggested by the casting of young Atlas and Lily.
Get ready for the emotional rollercoaster as “It Ends With Us” hits the big screen, tackling sensitive issues head-on.