Amazon MGM Studios is currently in the early stages of developing a TV series based on the iconic horror film “Poltergeist.”
• Amazon MGM Studios is developing a new TV series based on the 1982 iconic horror film “Poltergeist.”
• Executive producers Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey will lead the project courtesy of Amblin Television.
• The series will follow the Freeling family as ghosts plague them in their home to rescue their daughter kidnapped by said ghosts.
• “Poltergeist” has enjoyed success, being nominated for three Academy Awards and grossing $121 million worldwide.
• The show is just one of many MGM properties Amazon is adapting, including “Robocop,” “Legally Blonde,” “Barbershop,” and more.
The series will be produced by Amblin Television, with executive producers Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey leading the project.
The original “Poltergeist” film, released in 1982, was a major success and grossed $121 million worldwide. It was nominated for three Academy Awards and spawned two sequels. In 2015, a reboot of the film was released.
The TV series will be set within the world of the “Poltergeist” film and will explore the story of the Freeling family, who are plagued by ghosts in their new home. The family works with a parapsychologist and a spiritual medium to rescue their daughter, who is kidnapped by the ghosts.
This is not the first television adaptation of “Poltergeist.” The series “Poltergeist: The Legacy” aired for three seasons on Showtime before moving to Sci-Fi Channel for its fourth and final season.
This project is part of Amazon’s effort to adapt well-known MGM properties. They are currently working on projects based on “Robocop,” “Legally Blonde,” “Barbershop,” and more.
They have also recently found a showrunner for a series set in the world of “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” and are developing a series based on the book “Glossy” and the Glossier company.
We are taking you back to the original movie with this trailer.