Michael Caine, the iconic British film star known for his illustrious eight-decade career and two Academy Awards, has officially announced his retirement from acting at 90.
• Michael Caine, iconic British film star and two-time Academy Award winner, announced his retirement from acting at 90
• Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s “Best of Today” podcast, Caine expressed delight in receiving fantastic reviews for his role in “The Great Escaper,” released this month.
• Caine gained recognition for his diverse roles spanning multiple genres such as “The Ipcress File” (1965), “Alfie” (1966), and “The Dark Knight” (2008). He won Academy Awards for his supporting performances in “Hannah and Her Sisters” (1986) and “The Cider House Rules” (1999).
• Director Oliver Parker commended Caine’s captivating presence and charisma, which made him memorable in every role.
• With the ending of one journey, Caine looks forward to writing books and embarking on a new chapter of creativity.
Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s “Best of Today” podcast, Caine confirmed that his latest film, “The Great Escaper,” released this month, would be his final acting endeavor.
Reflecting on the film’s success, Caine expressed his desire to leave the industry at the height of his acclaim, stating, “I’ve received fantastic reviews for my performance as a 90-year-old lead character. What more can I achieve?”
Caine’s retirement comes after a remarkable career portraying diverse characters ranging from secret agents to playboys.
He gained recognition for his role as British spy Harry Palmer in the 1965 thriller “The Ipcress File” and his portrayal of a promiscuous chauffeur in the 1966 romantic comedy “Alfie.” He achieved Academy Awards for his supporting performances in Woody Allen’s “Hannah and Her Sisters” (1986) and “The Cider House Rules” (1999). Caine has also had memorable roles in films such as “The Dark Knight” (2008) and “The Man Who Would Be King” (1975).
Director Oliver Parker, who collaborated with Caine on “The Great Escaper,” commended the actor’s ability to transform his performances through his undeniable charisma and presence.
Although Caine’s acting journey may end, he revealed his intentions to focus on his passion for writing.
Having already written books and expressed his aspiration to be a writer, Caine sees this as a new chapter in his creative endeavors.
In contrast to the demanding schedule of filmmaking, he highlighted the convenience of writing, stating, “You don’t have to get out of bed.”
With his unparalleled talent and extensive work, Michael Caine leaves a lasting legacy on the entertainment industry as he gracefully bows out.