A sequel to “Revenge of the Mask” has been announced. What’s more, “Revenge of the Mask” will receive a small prequel short, and “Rise of the Mask” will receive a prequel.
Said Dylan Sides, the executive producer for “Revenge of the Mask.” He will also create all the props for these sequels. He revealed in an exclusive he shared with mmm2weekender. “We will be shooting the short and the prequel this summer. And then “Revenge of the Mask” will be 2020. “
Upon this news, we thought we would release some details about “Rise of the Mask” and “Revenge of the Mask” you may not know.
!. “Rise of the Mask” was filmed in Luna Pier, Michigan, a short distance from Ohio.
2. There was little, to no CGI used in “Rise of the Mask.”
3. The beach used in Luna Pier, MI was seen in both “Rise of the Mask” and “Revenge of the Mask.” To achieve a different look in both, the one scene was short in April, and the other shot in June
4. At the conclusion of “Rise of the Mask” appears a factory with three towers. What is this? One suggestion that we have gotten is that it is the Consumers Energy J.R. Whiting Generating Plant. Another suggestion is that it is the . Besse-Davis Power Plant which is visible for Luna Pier, but is located 25 east of Toledo.
5. In total, there were five different masks created to shoot “Rise of the Mask”. 1 hero mask, 1 stunt mask, 1 throw mask, 1 silicone mask that was stuck to loki’s face, 1 hero bloody mask.
6. The cost to shoot both “Rise of the Mask,” and “Revenge of the Mask” contrary to what appears on IMDB, was between $74,000 and $100,000.
7. To raise the money for this shoot, Dylan “literally worked his ass off a full-year” before they even started filming.
8. Dylan did this to ensure that these two shorts paid all involved, “… I wanted them be able to pay people for their time … I’m just sick of the cycle of having someone work for two weeks on your film in a gaffers position and be payed dick, or not at all.”
Here is a behind the scenes video you may not have seen.
9. The biggest expense in making both movies was props
10. Some of the crazy things they did in both films included: hanging people off of bridges, wire work, smashing cars, blood effects, squibs. In this video, master stunt man and practical effects expert Bobby Laenen explains how he pulled off such an amazing effects stunt as the Mask throws Tick Tock over the hood of the car with a modest budget.
11. Costumes was another big expense. Allen’s hoodie costume is made from scratch and there was 23 of them. There was only two of the masks final costumes.
12. Why 23 hoodies. Explains Dylan,”Blood continuity… two different people wearing the same costume very different sizes … bullet hole continuity. Burton costumes were created just for dummies. And a couple were made to fit harnesses.”
13. Christina Tomlinson wrote the screenplay for “Rise of the Mask.” She also did the costumes for both “Rise of the Mask” and “Revenge of the Mask.” Christina is also credited with being the set designer for “Revenge of the Mask” as well as being a producer of the same. Kyle and Dylan wrote the screenplay for “Revenge of the Mask.”
14. The trailer dropped on October 31, 2018.
15. By November 13, 2018, the short went viral. It was averaging 100K a day, and after 13 days online showed 1.3M views.
16. Dylan Sides did most of the casting for both, “Rise of the Mask,” and “Revenge of the Mask.”
17. On 12/11/18 a music video dropped based on “Revenge of the Mask”. It featured music by Twin Chord, the band who did the music for the ending of the movie.
Watch this music video for an important reveal.
18. BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: “Revenge of the Mask” will be releasing four projects between now and 2020.
19. BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: For these Sides Studios is having a casting call, January 26th, 2019, at the Planet Ant Black Box Theater, 2357 Caniff, Hamtramck, MI. Here are the particulars.
20. BIG ANNOUNCMENT: Mask has already signed two big names. The first is Dean Cain. Cain is perhaps best known for playing the role of Clark Kent/Superman in the series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman which ran from 1993-1997. Dean Cain will appear in the new Mask series as “Detective Kallaway.” The second is the super-human Nathan Jones. Jones appeared as Richtor Erectus in Mad Max: Fury Road (2015), among other roles. Jones rose upon the world strongman scene in 1995 and showed promise to become perhaps the top competitor in the world. At 6′ 11″ and 360 lbs., the giant Australian known as Megaman was an imposing sight and used his great size and strength to place high in the World Musclepower Championships. Jones will appear as “Walter.”
Bonus Trivia bit. It took fifteen years to bring “Revenge of the Mask” to the big screen. Said Dylan Sides, ”
I have been working in this industry for a long time and I have seen many props. The Mask is one of my absolute favorites, for so many reasons. I have been lucky enough to own some of those amazing pieces of history over the years and I have gotten to see others up close. I count there is about 16 real ones from the first film out there… but going into this new year I have a new favorite Mask props and it’s because I never gave up on a dream … So, I beg you no matter how impossible it seems, never give up on a dream because in 15 (years) or even in one year’s time, you will never believe it when wake you up in the morning and see your dream reststing on your wall. It means you accomplished something.🙂 Don’t give up on your dreams ..
Happy New Years everyone – Dylan sides
Here are some of Dylan’s favorite props.